Caldecott 2013: Thoughts and Predictions

Saturday, January 19, 2013

For librarians, January is all about the awards -- not the Golden Globes or the Oscars, though. We are all excited for the Newberry and Caldecott Medals.  What will win? What will be an honor book? These are the questions on the minds of librarians throughout January. The 2013 awards will be announced at 8 a.m. PT on Jan. 28, from the Washington State Convention Center in Seattle. Here are some of our thoughts on the Caldecott while we wait...

I think Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad by Henry Cole will get a nod from the committee. If it doesn't win, I'm betting it gets an honor. I love how the pen and ink illustration convey the tension in the story. -Alia

It Jes' Happened: When Bill Traylor Started to Draw by Don Tate, ill. R. Gregory Christie tells a uniquely American story. The folk-art illustraions are done in the style of Bill Traylor, tying it all together. -Melissa
 
Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger has such innovative cutouts and lush oil paint textures. There hasn't been a concept book among past winners. Maybe it's time for a change. -Meghan

I adore Boot & Shoe by Marla Frazee but I think it's a long shot as far as the awards are concerned. Still, I would love to see it get some recognition, mostly because I dream of living in that adorable little green house! Frazee has a way of making you feel like you could just walk right in to one of her scenes. -Alia
 
My three favorites are: A Home for Bird by Philip C . Stead, Mom, It’s My First Day of Kindergarten! by Hyewon Yum – I love the role reversal of the Mom and son on the first day of school – and Boot & Shoe by Marla Frazee – the emotion conveyed in the simple illustrations of the dogs is fantastic. – Kristin
 
My pick for the 2013 Caldecott winner is: Baby Bear Sees Blue by Ashley Wolff.  I love the vibrant colors and how each page leads into the next color. -Susan

Let us know what you think about this year's picture books. Join us for our 2013 Mock Caldecott. Everyone is invited to attend and vote on their favorite picture book. Tuesday, January 22 from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.
 
Design by Pocket