30 Poems in 30 Days: April 1

Sunday, April 1, 2012

April is National Poetry Month! To celebrate, we are challenging ourselves to scour the internet for great poetry and collect and post 30 poems, one for each day of the month of April. Please join us in this celebration of poetry and check back often to read the featured poem of the day.

Since today is April Fool's Day, it's only fair we start with a humorous poem and no one makes kids laugh more than Shel Silverstein.  His poem "Sick" is always a storytime crowd-pleaser.

It starts...

"I cannot go to school today,"
Said little Peggy Ann McKay.
"I have the measles and the mumps,
A gash, a rash and purple bumps.
My mouth is wet, my throat is dry,
I'm going blind in my right eye. 
 
Click here to read the whole poem. 
 
And come by the library to check out the latest Shel Silverstein book, Every Thing On It, a collection of  previously unpublished poems.
 
Design by Pocket